Saturday, March 08, 2008

Training

I have decided to take all of the FEMA online courses here: http://training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.asp

There are 63 in all. I already have taken IS-2 in the past which is not on there for some reason. Most of it will just be review for me but it is always good to have a refresher. I was thinking of all the emergency training that I already had and figured since these courses are free, I might as well take them.

The training that I have currently, off the top of my head:

Firefighter 1
Firefighter 2
Hazmat Awareness
Hazmat Operations
Basic Incident Command
FEMA IS-2
Skywarn Weather Spotter
C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Response Team)
Medical First Responder
CPR
Non Screened A.E.D.


I have affiliations with the following:

Oakland County Emergency Response and Preparedness
ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service)
RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service)
C.E.R.T.


I guess I just figured that the more training, the better. The fact that it is free and online is good too. I helped out last year with a tornado devastated area and it was a good feeling to lend a helping hand. Most of the help I provide now is just radio communications, but with the C.E.R.T. class I just took, hopefully I can do a little more.

No comments: